( FIRST CATEGORIZATION)
There are four major causes of a hip labral tear:
I. Trauma-an acute injury as a traumatic hip labral tear II. Structural abnormalities
III. Repetitive motions IV.Osteoarthritis
I. Trauma: This type of hip labral tear takes place when there is an acute injury resulting from doing sports (in sports like golf, soccer, football, hockey to name a few), accident (especially motor vehicle accidents) and fall. Consequently this dislocation and direct impact to the hip joint leads to many traumatic hip labral tears every year.
II. Structural abnormalities: In almost each and every population, there are people who born with certain kind of abnormal hip structures ( or birth defects ) which may progressively lead to a tear of the hip joint and induce hip labral tears.
Hip Labral Tear (or Acetabular Labral Tear) is an injury, a mild-severe medical condition in which a damage occurs within the cartilage and tissue in the hip socket. With respect to hip joint, it is crucial to understand the anatomy of labrum; a type of cartilage and the ring of soft elastic tissue which encircles the socket of ball and socket joints. Since the hip labral tears may cause permanent damage to the joint, it requires a careful consideration and management.
Keywords: Hip labral tears, cartilage, femur, acetabular labral tear, hip socket, labrum, socket, thighbone
1. "Hip Labral Tear." Mayo Clinic. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2012. <http://www.mayoclinic.com/>.
2. "Acetabular Labral Tear." WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2012. <http://www.webmd.com/>.
3. "A Comprehensive Review of Hip Labral Tears." National Center for Biotechnology Information. U.S. National Library of Medicine, n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2012. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/>.
4. Hip Labral Tears. Perf. Brian M. Torpey, MD, FACS, Board Certified, Fellowship Trained Orthopaedic Surgeon. Professional Orthopaedic Associates, 2010.<http://www.youtube.com/>.
5. "Labral Tears."Duke Orthopaedics N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Nov. 2012. <http://www.dukehealth.org/>
6. Understanding Hip Pain. Perf. ,Dr. Vijay Vad, MD. Hospital for Special Surgery Official PGA & Pro-tennis Tour Illumistream Health 2007 <http://www.youtube.com/>.
7. Lewis, Cara L., and Shirley A. Sahrmann. "Acetabular Labral Tears." Physical Therapy. N.p., Jan. 2006. Web. 18 Nov. 2012. <http://physther.net/>.
8. Fitzgerald RH Jr. Acetabular labrum tears: diagnosis and treatment. Clin Orthop1995; 311:60– 68
9. Ikeda T, Awaya G, Suzuki S, et al. Torn acetabular labrum in young patients. Arthroscopic diagnosis and management. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1988; 70:13– 16
LEARN, CONNECT AND sHARE
Hip Labral Tears
There are some risk factors that may enhance the chance of a hip labral tear. Thus, if you have any of the below conditions, it is crucial for you to share it with your doctor during the physical examination:
I. Your past and present hip problems: These are; trauma to hip including motor vehicle accident and falling or slipping with or without hip dislocation, hip dysplasia, osteoarthritis, leg-calve-perthes disease, femoroacetabular impingement syndrome (FAI) and slipped capital epiphysis.
II. Overdo sports or exercises: These are the exercises that requires repeated twisting or pivoting motions or frequent lateral (external) rotation such as football, soccer, gold, hockey, ballet, sprinting and running to name a few.
Keywords: Femeroacetabular impringement syndrome, hip dislocation, hip dysplasia, hip labral tear, risk factors of hip labral tear, osteoarthritis, trauma to hip